Monday, October 12, 2009

Bodice

When it came to the bodice it was simply following the patterns instructions. However, we ended up realizing that the biggest size the pattern was made for was not going to be big enough for me. >.< (And the weight loss begins... lol) Making adjustments to the pattern, i.e. making it 3 sizes bigger, >.< we were able to complete the bodice with room to give.

I'll be honest. I normally wear a size 16-18 shirt. (I work at Lane Bryant and shop at lane Bryant, if you know that store, you know what I'm talking about.) I wear plus sizes. The pattern went up to a size 22 for the entire thing. Therefore, we figured that we should cut it just a bit bigger than the 22 size patter for a little wiggle room.

When we cut out the bodice patterns and pinned them together. I 'put' it on to see what we had to work with. It ended up be rather short at the bottom and didn't close in the back.... at all. Thank god I ended up with way too much yellow fabric. (Either I miscalculated or was over prepared)So we were back to square one on the bodice. We pulled the patterns back out and, using a fabric pen, marked out 3 sizes bigger from the patter. This requires a ruler to follow the pattern lines to make the pattern farther out.

HINT: If you ever have to make any pattern a size or so bigger here is how you do it. A pattern as at least 3 or 4 sizes for your to cut along. To make the pattern bigger than it is, first measure, in inches, how far apart each size line is at ever different part of the pattern. This will make your pattern equal sizes bigger. Do not think, "Oh, I need it 2 inches bigger," and mark along the patter 2 inches at every point. It will NOT look at all like the pattern. You need to see the difference between one size at all different points and mark from there. (This is where your high school algebra actually is applied!)

After we made the bodice 3 sizes bigger and a bit longer at the bottom, we pinned the bodice together and I 'put it on' again for sizing. SUCCESS! The bodice fits much better. Its not tight, could be pulled a bit tighter but we can make that decision at the end when we place the Velcro in the back.


Finished bodice. (Thanks mom for making it while I was at work ^_^)
(Told you I was a big person, lol)

No comments:

Post a Comment