Monday, October 19, 2009

White Trim

All that is left is to make the white trim for the neck and the sleeves.



This part took a little creativity on my part. For the bodice, our directions called for interfacing for the front neck line. Therefore, a pattern was there for the interfacing. (Pattern piece that is above white trim) Using this pattern I was able to cut out the white trim that was a perfect match for the neck line. For the bumps I just 'drew' my own pattern at one shot. (I totally whinged it, you can too) Though Daisy's white trim actually wraps around her entire neck, due to the way the dress is, I decided to just place it on the front part.

I cut two pieces so that I can sew it inside out and turn it right side out and it would have a clean finish. I noticed with I turned it right side out, my bumps turned out a little pointy. If you iron it down and form it to a more circular pattern, the trim becomes more rounded like I wanted.



To attach the trim, I placed it on the front of the bodice and had extra sticking up so that I can fold it into the inside of the dress. Using an iron I was able to press it down so it will say in place so I can sew it. Most people would probably done this inside out, but the trim would have not folded the right way so I had to stay on the outside. It ended up not being that difficult so don't worry to much about it. It worked perfectly! I can't believe how close it is to her actual dress!

For the white trim for the sleeves:



Using the pattern for the yellow trim of the sleeves, (top of pic) I was able to make the white trim. Again, I made the bumps my self with no pattern. If your able to find something on the computer that will best represent the bumps for a reference I would suggest it. I was not a fan of having to whing it myself but it ended up working out just fine. Again, like the neck trim, when I sewed it together and turned it back right side out, the bumps were a little pointed. Again, use an iron to rounded to the shape you want.

Sewing the white sleeve trim on the the sleeves was a little easier than the neck trim.



Have the bumps facing toward the bodice and pin it around the sleeves. Sew it to the sleeves.



You will then fold the entire trim so that the bumps are facing away from the bodice and sew again, along the same sew line when you initially attached the sleeves. This will keep it folded out and in place. You may need to iron it down when you fold it out to stay in place for you to sew.


Finished sleeve trim.

No comments:

Post a Comment