Monday, September 28, 2009

Cutting the Fabric

Now that I have obtained all the necessary materials, it's time to get to work. The first thing to do is to pull out all the patterns and cut them to your appropriate size. Due to, again, me not being that small of a person, I had some concerns that the actual size of the pieces would not exactly fit me. Therefore, I cut the patterns a little larger. "You can always sew it smaller than sew it bigger," my mom said. I'd also like to take the time to thank my mother as well. She was a big help to me and we worked hard together on this project. I wouldn't have done it with out her. Thanks Mom! ^_^

Because I was able to find a dress pattern with exactly the same design as Daisy's dress there isn't much need for modification. Therefore, all I had to do was just cut out the patterns.


The 'costume' fabric or satin fabric purchased at JoAnn Fabrics. Of course the colors were white, yellow, and orange. For my particular size I ended up buying about 6 1/2 yards of yellow, 3 yards of orange and 1/2 yard of white. All around it added up to about $27. This will be varied on sale prices, actual price of fabric, type of fabric, and your size. Just follow what the pattern tells you to get on the back, and always buy a bit more for safe measure, unless your a pro. (Unlike me, lol)


Skirt panel, sleeve, sleeve band, and skirt puff


Front and back part of bodice. Sorry its upside down >.<

This is where the only modification to the original pattern design comes into place. Daisy's dress has two ruffles at the bottom of her dress. Just look at her picture at the top of my blog. Because there is no actual pattern for this part, I used the bottom part of the skirt panel. Since the two orange ruffles would be a trim placed a few inches from the bottom of the skirt and the actual trim of the skirt, using the bottom part of the skirt pattern was a perfect match.

This shows where I cut off the bottom part of the pattern. (can see the fabric still attached)


On top is the bottom of the skirt pattern and cut it whole on the orange fabric. Then I folded the orange fabric so I could cut it in half long ways. (can see where it is cut and is two pieces)


See it worked perfectly. This will give the double layer affect at the bottom of her dress. I will sew the top orange strip directly to the yellow fabric, then fold it over, iron, then hem the bottom. This will give a clean trim and make the top part stick out a bit like in her picture. Same will be done at the very bottom to make a nice clean trim and her bottom ruffle.

I can't wait to see what it will look like! ^_^

The very last thing I did tonight was cut out the little ruffle part for her gloves.


This is the pattern that I obtained from the Cosplay Peach website. Again, she is brilliant. I sized it to my liking on my computer then printed it out. Then I pinned it to the white fabric and cut out 4 pieces of it. It was the perfect size for the gloves. It is only supposed to be a little detail so they are to be small. I will sew these together, turn it right side out, then sew it to the gloves as if it was always there. Due to different fabric types it may not look exactly perfect, but it is a costume and have to do what we can to get it almost perfect. I still think it's gonna look good.

The only other thing I have to cut out is the neck finishing. The pattern used for the glove detail is the same for the neck outlining. However, I have made it much bigger for bigger bumps. Though at this point, I have to wait on cutting out that part until the bodice is either almost done or completely done. I'm not sure on how big or small I want the bumps to look on the dress so that will be one of the last things I will do.

Again, I am getting even more and more excited as I work with my costume. I was concerned that we weren't going to be able to pull off the double bottom ruffle but as you can see in the picture, it should look pretty darn close. I can't believe I am pulling this off. Again, with lots and lots of help from my mother. =D That is all for now. The next steps is sewing and that will be a smaller step by step process.

No comments:

Post a Comment