Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Shopping

In my area, the best place in the world to start looking for any sewing project is Joann Fabrics. (Any convenient fabric selling store should be ideal) This was the very first place I went to. The first thing I looked for was for the dress pattern. After sifting through hundreds of patters for about 2 1/2 hours (I picked the wrong shelving unit to start with) I found a princess costume pattern with almost the exact style dress that Daisy is wearing.



This included her puff sleeves, the 2 orange puffs on the side of her dress and had the long length that I wanted. I couldn't ask for a more perfect pattern. However, the neckline on the pattern does not go up as high as I wanted it to but there wasn't any other patters with all the same details all in one convenient package (therefore it was cheaper). It was on sale for 40% off at Joann's with made it about $10 (seasonal sale). I'm sure there are other ways of obtaining cheaper patterns, do what suits you best.

The next process was finding the fabric. Again Joann Fabrics was the place to look. I chose yellow, orange and white costume fabric (satin). Again, because I started around October there were seasonal sales. The fabric was $3.99 a yard and was 30% off. Bringing my total in fabric to about $30 (not including tax) Again, if you have a way of obtaining fabric cheaper, do so. As well as, I am not a small person, so more fabric was in order. ;D

Then it was time to look for ideas for the accessories. Several ideas were again from the website I originally sourced.

Gloves: Found short, white gloves at seasonal Halloween store for $3.99. Will use the white fabric to add her hump detail to them.

Crown: Again, I found a child's princess tiara for $2.50 at the same Halloween store. Will spray paint gold

Broach: From the website, she used clay for the gold outlining of Peach's blue broach, I chose the same type of clay but got white to make for the white pettels around the gem. Chose a large green (glass gem or bouncy ball) to place on top of clay. Will modify into necklace

Earrings: Used half of a green bouncy ball and the white clay on hoop earings


Crown Gems: Used half of green and pink bouncy balls and white clay for flower.

As I continue with this project I will go in detail of how I created each of the accessories as well. All the items were found at a craft store or a toy store (bouncy balls) at as cheap of prices as I could find.

Pricing is key in this process. I am normally an impulse shopper and just buy what I see but for an elaborate costume such as this, find the cheapest price that you can so you can do more with it later.

Side Note: Another accessory you may need to obtain is a wig. I have the same hair color as her and just plan on styling my own hair for the costume. That is an option for you as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment